Adjustable Transmissive Sensor
The ZM Series printers come standard with two sensor types (TRANSMISSIVE or REFLECTIVE). The REFLECTIVE selection should be used for Black Mark Media while the TRANSMISSIVE selection should be used for media with a gap, notch, or hole for top of form sensing.
You must select the Media Type through the front panel LCD before running calibration. The default is Gap/Notch.
By default, the printer automatically calibrates on power up or when the print head is closed.
During auto calibration, the printer determines the label length and sensor settings.
Perform a media and ribbon sensor calibration to reset the sensitivity of the sensors so the
media and ribbon are detected more accurately.
From the printer's LCD select Media and Ribbon Calibrate:
To perform a media and ribbon sensor calibration:
1. Press SELECT to select the parameter.
2. Press PLUS (+) to start the calibration procedure.
The LOAD BACKING prompt displays.
3. Open the print head.
4. Remove approximately 8 in. (203 mm) of labels from the backing, and
pull the media into the printer so that only the backing is between the
5. Leave the print head open.
6. Press PLUS (+) to continue.
The REMOVE RIBBON prompt displays.
7. Remove the ribbon (if used).
8. Close the printhead.
9. Press PLUS (+) to continue.
The message CALIBRATING PLEASE WAIT displays.
The printer adjusts the scale (gain) of the signals that it receives from
the media and ribbon sensors based on the specific media and ribbon
combination being used. On the sensor profile, this essentially
corresponds to moving the peak of the graph up or down to optimize
the readings for your application.
When calibration is complete, RELOAD ALL displays.
10. Open the printhead and pull the media forward until a label is
positioned under the media sensor.
11. Reload the ribbon (if used).
12. Close the printhead.
13. Press PLUS (+) to continue.
The printer performs an auto-calibration. During this process, the
printer checks the readings for the media and ribbon based on the new
scale established, determines the label length, and determines the print
mode. To see the new readings on the new scale, print a sensor profile.
14. Press SELECT to accept any changes and deselect the parameter.